DO AS I DO BASIC CERTIFICATE
The exam is divided in two parts: theory and practice.
The theory part consists of a multiple choice questionnaire of 10 questions.
The topics are those that are explained during the Do as I Do seminars and courses and can also be found in the book and DVD:
- Social learning, imitation, other social learning processes.
- Do as I Do training protocol, training phases.
During the practice part of the exam the dog is tested with a novel demonstrator in a Do as I Do session where he is required to reproduce various actions:
- The dog is tested by an examiner in 2 sessions of 6 trials each, on 6 familiar actions (at least two without objects) chosen by the owner.
- The dog will then be tested on a novel action.
- The dog is required to be able to reproduce actions that are shown on objects that are behind himself and behind the demonstrator.
- The ‘Do it!’ command is given while looking straightforward and not looking at the dog.
What we do
After passing the exam, the owner will receive a certificate.
Furthermore, owners and dogs will have the possibility to participate in the research program on social learning and imitation in dogs and take part in the training and testing sessions.
Have a look at another sample basic exam video.